Do you know what the real problem is with getting organized? We have too much stuff! I’m willing to bet that you have some things you (or others in your household) keep without having a good enough reason. Those excuses are keeping you from the goal to get organized.
So why DO we keep so much stuff?
Here’s the thing, it’s easier to find excuses for why you should keep something and delay making a decision rather than making a firm (and sometimes hard) choice to say goodbye to your “stuff”.
Have you heard any of these…
- “I might need it someday.” Yes, you might. But most of the items we keep can easily be found or replaced. Lots of men keep every screw and nail created and store it away like a squirrel with his nuts. But what happens is these little tiny items create more clutter and it gets to a point where you can’t find that little screw anyway because it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.
- “I’m going to lose some weight and start wearing this again.” I hope if you have a goal to lose weight, you do everything in your power to make it happen. And when you do, I give you permission to go out and buy some brand new clothes. You should be proud and it’s the perfect time to reward yourself. The flip side is when people save larger sized clothes. Your goal should never be to get back in them. By getting rid of the bigger sizes you will be more determined to keep the weight off. Because who really wants to go buy bigger clothes?
- “So-and-so gave me this.” Ahhh, the classic. Get over it! More than likely it was a re-gift and no one is coming over your house looking for things that they have given you. With the exception of a mother-in-law or maybe grandma. Keep in mind that when you are given something YOU own it. You can do whatever you please with it. So if you no longer need or want the item you have the right to give it away or throw it away.
- “I paid good money for this…thing!” I’m sure you did. But what has more value…this “item” you no longer have any use for or the way you enjoy your house? The item…or your happiness? The item…or your space? Nothing keeps its value. So get that out of your mind. If you no longer use it, get rid of it.
- “Oh, I’m just trying to figure out what to do with it…” PROCRASTINATOR! Okay, so maybe it’s not worth holding onto. If it takes that much mental work to figure out what to do with something, you can take a pretty good guess that it may not be worth as much to you as you think. If you can’t figure out what to do with something…it’s a safe bet you won’t miss it too much. There is a lot more value in enjoying your home, your friends and your family than the “stuff” you paid for.
Stop excuses and get organized!
Why not tackle organizing an area of your home this weekend? I will guide you step-by-step with organizing and maintaining every area of your home. You will finally know where and how to start. Find out more by clicking below. Grab yours NOW!