- Just do it NOW! There is no time like the present. The sooner you start the sooner you get it over with.
- Don’t over think the task. Most people procrastinate because they want to perform the task perfectly. All that matters is doing the best you can.
- Break it down. Break down the overwhelming task into smaller steps. It might not seem as overwhelming if you do this.
- Set a timer. Use your kitchen timer for 15 minutes to solely focus on the task at hand.
- Don’t multitask and don’t over-schedule yourself. When you multitask you actually are not doing the best you can on the task at hand because your attention is diverted.
- Visualize you finishing the task and how good that feels. Starting out with the end in mind is a great way to stay motivated to complete the task.
- Set a deadline days before the actual deadline. This is a great way to trick yourself into thinking you are procrastinating and feeling that rush without the consequences of actually missing your deadline.
- Don’t beat yourself up. If you need to move something to another day that’s okay. We all need that sometime. Just don’t make a habit of putting things off.
- Reward yourself at the end. Set up rewards that you will give yourself for completing a project as a way to motivate you and keep you excited about starting and finishing.
- Say NO! It’s a beautiful thing. Saying no to things will actually free up your time and not have you “under” the gun so much.
Bonus tip: Evaluate what you keep putting off. Ask yourself does it align with my goals? Maybe you shouldn’t have committed to it in the first place.
I hope these tips will help you fight off procrastination.
Until next time…