I work from home and even though I have a dedicated home office I find that sometimes I need to work in other areas of the house. In the Summer my office gets very hot. I live in an old home with just window air conditioners, so that really doesn’t cut it in the Summer.
That’s when I move to the dining room in my home and set up a mobile home office. I found a great way to have just the things I need and not clutter up my dining room with office stuff. So here is my step by step for setting up a mobile home office.
- Step 1 – decide what you need to do your work efficiently.
- Of course you will need your laptop. You will also need some type of filing system. You will also need basic office supplies.
- Step 2 – gather your supplies and get to organizing.
- I used a shoebox container to house my office supplies. I also used a file box to put my working files in. And the piece de resistance is how I repurposed a rolling printer cart to hold the whole operation. My laptops fit nicely on top and my filing box and office supply box fit nicely on the bottom shelves. If I need more room to write I can move the smaller laptop to a bottom shelf and then I have writing room.
- Step 3 – get to work.
- When I am ready to work I just roll the cart to me and get started. As you can see in the picture I have a wicker chair that I can pull up that is the perfect height. I really like the rolling printer cart because I can roll it out when needed and then roll it away when not in use. It has a small foot print so it doesn’t take up too much space in the dining room.
The great thing about this set up is when I want a little more space I just move my laptop to the dining room table and get busy. But the nice thing is all of my supplies and clutter stays on the rolling cart so I don’t pile up the table. When I am ready to go back to my dedicated office in the Winter it is so easy for me to just pick up my portable items and carry them back to the office.
You can use many different types of totes and bins to have a portable mobile office. Here are just a few ideas:
As you can see it is easy to set up a mobile home office anywhere in your home that isn’t an eyesore. If you are in need of a change of scenery or don’t have a dedicated office in your home, set up a mobile home office instead.