The holidays can be a joyful time and also a stressful time. These stressful situations can come from family strain, conflicting schedules or financial issues. But it doesn’t have to be this way. You can have a stress free holiday season. I want to share with you how to have a stress free holiday by following these simple tips. No matter where the stress is coming from following these tips will help you gain back your sanity.
9 Tips To Help Avoid Holiday Stress
The following tips will help you to stay stress free during this holiday season and really enjoy your family.
- Get Your Shopping Done Early. By shopping early and getting it over with you save yourself the stress of being out in the crowds and fighting strangers over the last toy. You also get to budget your money better and make more disciplined decisions about gifts.
- Take Time for Yourself. We often take the time to think of others during the holidays. While that’s very important to maintain, you can’t forget about yourself in the process. Remember to schedule “me” time and concentrate on doing things that you love. In order to take good care of others, you first have to take good care of yourself.
- Keep Calm and Remember Your Family. Every family might not have a problem with arguments during the holidays, but some do. To keep from having an all out brawl tell yourself before the event that you are going to take the high road. Don’t let family arguments and disagreements ruin a good time of togetherness.
- Keep Up Your Exercise Routine. Sometimes we use the holidays as an excuse to stop exercising and just indulge in eating whatever we like with the understanding that we will get back on track in January. Don’t let the holiday season disrupt your daily routines. It’s okay to miss a few days but keep exercising. Exercising and been proven to help relieve stress and this is no time to take away a stress outlet.
- Watch your Diet. It’s okay to indulge during the holidays, but don’t take it as a free for all to start back to bad eating habits. Remember that it is harder to get off those extra pounds especially in the winter. Don’t over indulge in caffeine and sweets. Having too much of anything can affect how you feel.
- Buy Yourself a Present. Don’t forget to get yourself something while you are out there shopping for everyone else. A massage is a great stress relieving gift for yourself.
- Get Enough Rest. Sleep is crucial to relieving stress. You will probably be pulling long hours anyway trying to plan for all of the extra relatives that will be coming in. Be sure to get at least 8 hours every night so that you can be at your best every day.
- Learn to Delegate. Enlist the help of family and friends for help with cooking and cleaning. Don’t take it all upon yourself to make sure that everything runs smoothly. Also don’t let others volunteer you for things. It’s okay to say NO.
- Be Flexible. No matter how well we plan things not everything goes according to plan, and that’s okay. Be flexible enough to go with the flow. Don’t get bent out of shape if your schedule gets blown. Make sure that you have a back up plan if necessary. It’s okay if everything is not perfect. The important thing is spending time with family and friends.
By following these simple tips you can be assured that a stressful holiday is not in your future. You will be able to enjoy the season with family and friends. Until next time…