There are a lot of great features built-in to this newest version of Kindle.
- Size: 6.7” x 4.6” x 0.36” Fits in the palm of your hand.
- Weight: 7.5 ounces
- Seller: Amazon
- Price: Starting at $119
- Main Features: Built-in light, higher resolution, higher contrast, built-in wifi and 8 week battery life.
Where to Buy:
You can click on the pictures below to see more great features and to purchase the Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon.
Kindle Paperwhite Wifi Only
Kindle Paperwhite 3G
What I Like About The Kindle Paperwhite
Things I really like about the Kindle Paperwhite are:
- Telling you how long you have to go to finish a chapter. (A great feature to find out your reading speed.)
- I like being able to read at night without disturbing anyone.
- I like that the built-in light illuminates inward and doesn’t shine in my eyes like other e-readers.
- I love how it feels in hand. It is so light that I prefer to read with it without the cover. It just feels so natural holding in hand. There is enough space at the bottom to really grip it.
- I love the fact that I can hold it with one hand. Again it is so light.
- Built in wifi for accessing your library in the cloud and finding and buying other books.
What I Don’t Like About The Kindle Paperwhite
There is not much I don’t like about the Kindle Paperwhite, but for the sake of argument I listed a few things that I could do without. This is purely my preferences. It may be different for you.
- I don’t really like how the screen feels. It’s kind of gritty. I guess I am use to the smooth screen of the iPad and Nook.
- I kind of miss using side buttons to advance the pages. This is total preference though and doesn’t detract from the product.
I have had my Kindle Paperwhite for over a month and a half. I have not had any issues with it durability. I keep it in my case that I used for my older Kindle.
So far I have only had to hook it up twice to charge the battery since I bought it. Definitely not the long month of standby that I had with my other Kindle. I did have good battery life while standing in line that day for 8 hours. It didn’t run down very much at all so I can’t complain. The screen comes on fast from standby which I like. There is no lag time in start-up. So you can quickly get back to reading.
Who This Product is Suitable For
This product is for anyone who loves reading books on the go and wants a lightweight way to carry their library. This would make a great gift for anyone who has never owned a Kindle. This is for the purest who doesn’t want a bunch of bells and whistles. If you already have a tablet you can truly just use this for reading your books. No other distractions.
This is the best of the Kindle’s in my opinion for pure reading. Sometimes you just don’t want all of the other stuff and just want the reading. I choose the Paperwhite over the Nook with the backlight because I really liked that the Kindle Paperwhite’s light was shining inward and not out into my face like the Nook.
There are two versions. Both Kindles have wifi built in. I got the one for $119 that includes the special offers. That is a great price and the ads are only showing up when I have the Kindle in standby. Also the special offers show me other books of interest so a great compromise if you are on a budget. The other Kindle is the Paperwhite 3G and has the ability to tap into the 3G network when you are not near wifi. This is totally up to you which one you pick. I figured you only need wifi to access any books in the cloud or to find other books to download. I usually just make sure the books I want to read while out are already downloaded to my device.
If you would like to get your hands on one I would head over to Amazon right now and put in my order. The expected ship date on the Kindle Paperwhite is December 21, 2012. Just in time for Christmas! Order one for the book lover in your life and for yourself as well. When I pre-ordered mine it was shipped before the expected ship date. So I would get my order in now. I see this being a hot item on everyone’s wish list.
I hope this review will help you make a decision about if the new Kindle Paperwhite is for you. If you already have one let me know your thoughts in the comments below.